Facts and data regarding safety and regulations after vaccination remains a fluid and frequently changing situation. We will continue to provide updated information as it is available.
Volunteers of America National Services’ communities have been following CDC guidelines on COVID-19 regarding safety for independent living communities. The CDC has announced the first set of public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people.
For independent living communities, the new recommendations will be in effect for residents’ private apartment. All public spaces will still require masks and social distancing per the recommendations. Public spaces include entrances, chapel, multi-purpose rooms, dining/restaurants and fitness areas as well as other areas outside of the private apartments.
From the CDC, fully vaccinated people can:
• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
• Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
• Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:
• Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
To review the new recommendations by the CDC, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html.
Assisted Living/Skilled Nursing
Our communities are taking calls to schedule visits between our residents and loved ones. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) revised their recommendations and regulations for visitation. This includes allowing indoor visitation for all residents regardless of vaccination status, except for a few circumstances when visitation should be limited due to high risk of COVID-19 transmission.
As always, resident safety is our top priority. Therefore, our communities are scheduling all visitors through a reservation system to ensure that we are able to keep the number of people in our community to a safe number. Please call the main phone number for the community you are trying to reach to schedule your visit.
To help you prepare for your visit, please know that:
• All visitors will be screened for signs and symptoms of COVID-19
• Visitors must wear a well-fitted cloth mask, facemask, or respirator (e.g., N95) that is covering their mouth and nose.
• Residents should wear a well-fitted cloth mask, facemask, or respirator (e.g., N95) that is covering the mouth and nose.
• Hand hygiene should be performed by the visitor and the resident before and after visit.
• Visitors will maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet with resident
• If the resident is fully vaccinated, they can choose to have close contact (including touch) with their visitor(s).
• Visitors should physically distance from other residents and staff in the facility.
• Residents and Visitors cannot eat and/or drink during visit.
In addition, we will clean and disinfect high-frequency touched surfaces in the facility often, and designated visitation areas after each visit.
There are circumstances such as county COVID-19 positivity rate and/or residents with positive COVID-19 that may require some visitation restrictions per CMS. The community will inform you of any existing restrictions when you call to schedule your visit.
For more information from CMS, click here.